With its more dirt-worthy design, the 2012 Mule™ 610 4x4 XC is meant for those who like to venture a bit farther from the jobsite. If the XC designation makes you think 'cross country,' well, you'd be right on target, for this Mule looks like it's had a serious dose of Kawasaki Teryx™ off-road DNA injected into its flanks.
At a Glance...
- Extra-large 26-inch Maxxis Bighorn 2.0 radial tires mounted on 12-inch wheels offer substantial off-road capability
- Despite its 1.3-inch wider track than standard Mule 610, the XC still fits in a full-size pickup.
- Large tires offer extra ground clearance – now 8.1 inches – for excellent rough-terrain capabilities
- Standard skid plates for the front differential, engine and rear diff add protection and greatly reduce the chances of getting hung up on obstacles
- All-weather seat cover provides a secure perch for the driver and passenger
- Sporty graphics give the XC a bold look to match its mission
- A sport steering wheel from the Teryx RUV enhances control and appearance
- Long front and rear suspension arms provide superb off-road performance
- Optimum brake pedal ratio, strong master-cylinder mount and high-performance brake shoes provide substantial braking performance
- Stain and scratch-resistant special black-texture paint in the cargo bed enhances the XC's looks and durability
- Tailgate has a simple release for easy opening and closing
Fan-Cooled, Single-Cylinder Engine
- The Mule's simple and lightweight 401cc four-stroke single is compact, lightweight and extremely durable
- Overhead valve design provides maximum efficiency, while the XC's carburetor helps provide excellent fuel economy
- Fan cooling helps the engine maintain an ideal operating temperature
- Cab frame air intake draws clean, uncontaminated air for the engine from the top of the cab
- High-mount exhaust design keeps the system dry and out of harm's way
- An oil-temperature warning lamp linked to a crankcase sensor help prevent overheating
- The choke opens the throttle during starting so the accelerator pedal does not need to be depressed
- Stepping on the brake pedal allows the engine to be started in gear
Gear-Driven Engine Balancer
- A rotating balance weight moves opposite the piston, dramatically reducing vibration and minimizing noise and wear for increased comfort and reduced fatigue
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
- Carburetor settings reduce exhaust emissions, a good thing for the environment
- Positive crankcase ventilation system recycles blow-by gases to the intake tract where they're burned in the engine
- A USFS-approved spark arrestor in the muffler greatly reduces fire hazard
- California models have a check valve on the fuel tank/charcoal canister connector hose to prevent gasoline from entering the canister when operating on inclines or over rough terrain
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
- A simple and lightweight CVT (continuously variable transmission) is fully automatic and keeps engine speed in the most efficient range for any selected vehicle speed, load or terrain
- Fully automatic transmission features selectable 2 or 4 wheel drive
- An open-sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
- Belt deflection can be easily adjusted by changing the shim thickness of the adjuster bolt located on the outside of the driven converter
- A die-cast aluminum belt converter has high silicon content for compactness and light weight, and offers excellent toughness and durability
- The belt converter case is sealed to keep out contaminants
- A long-wearing ATV-style double cog CVT belt provides long wear and minimal maintenance
- The belt converter's air cleaner cover uses a clip-type clamp for easier maintenance, and a revised sealing method provides an improved seal
- A maintenance-free sealed bearing unit is used between the front and rear driveshafts
Dual Mode Differential
- Locked mode provides maximum traction in difficult conditions
- Unlocked mode decreases turning radius and minimizes ground disturbance – great for use on grass
Rack and Pinion Steering
- Ackerman rack-and-pinion steering provides precise, accurate handling and a small turning radius that facilitates working in tight quarters
- Rack-and-pinion system is durable, simple, easy to maintain and helps reduce tire wear
MacPherson Strut Independent Front Suspension
- Long-travel front suspension serves up a comfortable ride, excellent load-carrying capability and excellent terrain ability
- Simple, rugged single A-arm design provides a tight turning radius for extra maneuverability
Unit Swingarm Rear Suspension
- Unique design places engine and rear wheels on a sub-frame with a mid-point pivot that isolates vibration for a smooth ride
- Mule 610 4x4 XC's long-travel rear end can handle heavy loads, yet provides a comfortable ride even with an empty cargo bed
- The front grille includes space for mounting a 3,000-pound capacity winch
- Compact, lightweight and easy to transport to the job, the Mule fits in the bed of a full-sized pickup
- Durable plastic body panels resist dents, and the Mule 610 4x4 XC's Super Black finish is molded in for long-lasting good looks
- Fully meets SAE Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and FMVSS 216
- Two seat belts enhance safety
- Speed limited to 25 mph keeps the Mule well within its performance envelope
- The front hood opens up to reveal 12.6 gallons of sealed storage space
- A passenger side glove box is perfect for small item storage
- Cup holders located at each side of the front hood by the dash keep hydration close at hand
Tilting Cargo Bed
- A steel cargo bed covered in non-slip paint can carry up to 400 pounds, and tilts for maintenance and cleaning.
- A Teryx-style tailgate with simple release mechanisms makes loading and unloading easy.
- A crankcase oil-level dipstick and dual-element air cleaner make maintaining the Mule quick and convenient
- An automotive-style dash features easy-reach controls
- A standard-equipment hour meter makes maintenance intervals easy to track
- Fuel gauge and oil temperature warning light keep track of essential fluids
- Gear selector for High, Low, Neutral and Reverse couldn't be simpler
- A differential locking lever and convenient parking brake are simple to find and operate
- Powerful and stylish 35w headlights let the work day continue after dark
Popular Accessory Items
- Under seat storage compartment
- Plastic Hard Top
- Snow Plow
- Engine: Four-stroke, fan-cooled single, OHV
- Displacement: 401cc
- Bore x Stroke: 82 x 76mm
- Compression ratio: 8.6:1
- Carburetor: Nikki 6C1026
- Air filter: Snorkel-type with two-stage dry replaceable element
- Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
- Ignition: Magneto and transistor
- Electrical: 12V DC, 14 amp-hour battery, alternator
- Transmission: Continuously variable transmission with high and low range, plus reverse
- Final drive: Shaft-driven selectable four-wheel drive, dual-mode rear differential
- Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
- Front Tire Size: AT26 x 9R -12 Maxxis tubeless
- Rear Tire Size: AT26 x 9R -12 Maxxis tubeless
- Front suspension / wheel travel: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.1 in.
- Rear suspension / wheel travel: Unit swing axle, adjustable shocks / 3.1 in.
- Steering: Rack and pinion
- Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, triple sealed
- Fuel capacity: 4.1 gal.
- Curb weight: 1,052 lbs.
- Overall length: 108.5 in.
- Overall width: 52.0 in.
- Overall height: 73.8 in.
- Wheelbase: 70.1 in.
- Ground clearance: 8.1 in.
- Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5. This structure also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
- Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 41.1 x 35.4 x 9.6 in. / 8.08 cu. ft.
- Load capacity: 926 lbs.
- Cargo Bed Capacity: 400 lbs.
- Towing capacity: 1,100 lbs.
- Turning radius: 11.8 ft. (differential unlocked)
- Top speed: 25 mph, governed
- Instruments: Oil temperature meter, hour meter, 35w headlights, taillight and stoplight
- Color Choices: Super Black
- Warranty: 12 months
- Good Times™ Protection Plan: 12 or 24 months